Foreign key / performance question

From: Nico Callewaert <nico_callewaert(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Foreign key / performance question
Date: 2006-03-29 17:35:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi !,

Is it wise to define foreign keys for referential entegrity ?
Example : I have a customer table with 40 fields. Out of that 40 fields, 10 fields contain information linked to other tables. So, is defining foreign keys for these 10 fields a good idea ? Because from what I understand, for every foreign key, there is an index defined. So, all these indexes has to be maintained. Is that killing performance ? What's the best practise : defining foreign keys or not ?

Thanks a lot,
Nico Callewaert