Re: pg_dump cross-version support

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Alain BAUDHUIN" <alain(dot)baudhuin(at)swing(dot)be>
Subject: Re: pg_dump cross-version support
Date: 2006-03-19 18:55:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Alain BAUDHUIN wrote:
> I'm surprised, though not to find any pg_dump switch to produce a
> v7.x compatible dump. Did I look at the wrong place ? Does anybody
> know about the right way to dump a database in a cross-version
> compatible form ?

Downgrades are generally not supported. You may be able to convince the
older pg_dump to dump the newer database but I don't expect that to
work very well either. The best bet is probably to use the new pg_dump
and manually fix up the dump for 7.3.

> NB: I expect this issue is fairly common for people who, like me, run
> their development server on Windows (ie. v 8+) and have their
> application hosted at a provider who keeps delaying its upgrade from
> v7 to v8...

This sort of thing is a recipe for desaster for more reasons than this
one. Developing on version X gives no guarantees that deploying on
version Y will work.

Btw., speaking of "v7" and "v8" is about as useful and specific as
talking about Linux 1 and Linux 2.

--
Peter Eisentraut