Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?

From: Tyler MacDonald <tyler(at)yi(dot)org>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?
Date: 2006-02-06 23:49:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2/3/06, Tyler MacDonald <tyler(at)yi(dot)org> wrote:
> > I've been wondering, does anybody know which is more likely to be
> > installed on a postgresql server? Which is faster? I'm writting an
> > application in perl that is going to need to get broad information about
> > heiarchial data (how many parents, settings common on parents, etc), and I'd
> > like to put that data presentation logic into the database.
>
> plpgsql.
>
> for an explanation of my reasoning and a example of how to deal with
> heiarchial data, check out my blog at
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/merlin/

Awesome, thanks! I'm using plpgsql now and am slowly getting
comfortable with it. I've attached my first draft of the recursive flag
setting finder; it works, but it's inefficient. I've got a postgres guru
here helping me out and I'll be sure to read over your article as well.

Cheers,
Tyler

Attachment Content-Type Size
222_aus_find_user_flags.sql text/plain 477 bytes
223_aus_find_all_user_flags.sql text/plain 1.3 KB
224_aus_all_user_flag_set.sql text/plain 95 bytes
225_aus_all_user_flags.sql text/plain 682 bytes