BUG #2146: ECPG, cursros and conditional compilations...

From: "Chuck Wegrzyn" <cew(at)garbagedump(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2146: ECPG, cursros and conditional compilations...
Date: 2006-01-05 15:18:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2146
Logged by: Chuck Wegrzyn
Email address: cew(at)garbagedump(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.0
Operating system: Linux
Details:

I don't know if this is known or not, but it was a pretty interesting
"feature" to find.

I started out with a definition of a cursor:

EXEC SQL DECLARE StoreCur CURSOR FOR
SELECT schemaID, TenantName, Category, ModuleID,
Argument, EncryptID, RelSpeed
FROM Schema,Tenant WHERE Schema.TenantID =
Tenant.TenantID;

This worked fine. When I decided I wanted to have a different cursor but
keep the old in the source I did the normal C thing...

#if 0
<old DECLARE>
#else
<new DECLARE>
#endif

To those of you "old hands" you are probably saying: What an idiot that
won't work! How true. When I needed to do was:

// <old DECLARE>
<new DECLAR>

I find this rather inconsistent in the way ECPG works.

Even stranger was the error I got from ECPG...

ECPG -o store.c store.ec
store.ec:146: ERROR: cursor StoreCur already defined
store.ec:411: WARNING: cursor `StoreCur has been declared but ot opened

make: *** [store.c] Error 3

The warning message looks like garbage insterted after the StoreCur name.

Thanks, Peace and Happy New Year.