Re: Location of index information

From: Jim Beckstrom <jrbeckstrom(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Location of index information
Date: 2005-12-08 03:53:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

Now that I have read the glossary for pg_index (thank you for the link), there wouldn't be a php function available to do the selection of all of the indexes for a table, would there?

Jim

Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote: Jim Beckstrom writes:
> If the table names in a database are in pg_class.relname, where are the associated indexes, or where is this documented?

The indexes have their own entries in pg_class. The linkage between a
table and its indexes is made through entries in pg_index. See the
system catalogs documentation for your release:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalogs.html
(adjust link as needed --- although the basic stuff tends to remain
the same across releases, sometimes the details change)

http://archives.postgresql.org