SHA1 authentication

From: Bohdan Linda <bohdan(dot)linda(at)seznam(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SHA1 authentication
Date: 2005-10-24 08:39:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I would like to use password authentication for pgsql users for remote
backup purposes. I don't like the fact storing cleartext password on a
system. From documentation, i have learnt that passwords can be encrypted
by md5 and crypt methods.

But we know, that md5 is rather weak encryption, so I am asking is there
any feasible way, how we can use SHA1 instead MD5?

Cheers,
Bohdan