Re: 8.1 beta1 -> beta2 upgrade question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Eric Sproul <esproul(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1 beta1 -> beta2 upgrade question
Date: 2005-10-12 18:27:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Eric Sproul wrote:

Hi,

> We are testing a 1TB database on 8.1 beta 1. The upgrade path to beta 2
> (and presumably from beta 2 to the next release, all the way through
> production) requires a full export and import. Even on our beefy
> hardware (quad-Opteron, 16GB RAM) we are looking at a 26-hour complete
> outage for every upgrade (and back-out if something doesn't work
> properly). We are interested in finding a way to directly translate the
> data files from one version to the next. We can devote resources to
> work on this if the development team can give us guidance.

There has been talk in the past about creating a tool for in-place
upgrades. The most complete description of the needed work I've seen
posted to date is here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-12/msg00379.php

There was another proposal after that,

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-09/msg00916.php

Neither of them yielded any useful software, that I know of.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"If you have nothing to say, maybe you need just the right tool to help you