Re: Massive delete performance

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Massive delete performance
Date: 2005-10-11 21:48:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

* Andy <frum(at)ar-sd(dot)net> wrote:

<snip>
> I have the following problem: I have a client to which we send every
> night a "dump" with a the database in which there are only their
> data's. It is a stupid solution but I choose this solution because I
> couldn't find any better. The target machine is a windows 2003.
>
> So, I have a replication only with the tables that I need to send,
> then I make a copy of this replication, and from this copy I delete
> all the data's that are not needed.

Why not filtering out as much unnecessary stuff as possible on copying ?

<snip>

> How can I increase this DELETE procedure because it is really slow???
> There are of corse a lot of data's to be deleted.

Have you set up the right indices ?

cu
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service
phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact(at)metux(dot)de
Realtime Forex/Stock Exchange trading powered by postgreSQL :))
http://www.fxignal.net/