Re: Compression of text columns

From: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compression of text columns
Date: 2005-10-10 12:57:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tino Wildenhain mentioned :
=> Well, text columns are automatically compressed via the toast mechanism.
=> This is handled transparently for you.

OK, I misread the documentation, and I forgot to mention that
I'm using postgres 7.3 and 8.0
It's actually the EXTERNAL storage type that is larger, not EXTENDED.
What kind of compression is used in the EXTERNAL storage type?
Is there any way to achieve better compression?