Blob data type and it's efficiency on PostgreSQL

From: "Stas Oskin" <stas(at)neo(dot)co(dot)il>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Blob data type and it's efficiency on PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-09-19 16:36:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

We are using PostgreSQL as the RDBMS for our product, and are very happy
with it. Recently, we have encountered a need to store a lot of binary
files, mainly images (up to ~100,000 files, with sizes varying from
300K-2MB).

The question is, how well PostgreSQL performs with the blob data type, and
is it practical to store these files as blobs?

Thanks in advance,

Stas Oskin.