Re: random system table corruption ...

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: random system table corruption ...
Date: 2005-09-11 18:01:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 01:12:34PM +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> in the past we have faced a couple of problems with corrupted system
> tables. this seems to be a version independent problem which occurs on
> hackers' from time to time.
> i have checked a broken file and i have seen that the corrupted page has
> actually been zeroed out.

IIRC the XFS filesystem zeroes out pages that it recovers from the
journal but did not have a fsync on them (AFAIK XFS journals only
metadata, so page creation but not the content itself). I don't think
this would be applicable to your case, because we do fsync modified
files on checkpoint, and rewrite them completely from WAL images after
that. But I thought I'd mention it.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Just treat us the way you want to be treated + some extra allowance