how to update with a join?

From: Michael Hoeller <MichaelHoeller(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to update with a join?
Date: 2005-09-10 16:47:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello

I like to delete "k" from a string with the statement
update stamm set code = replace (code, 'k' , '');

But the only way to get the canditates I want to update is the following
statement. It seems that I can not update when I do a join.

Is there a way around it? With google I found a hint that a subselect
could help but there was no exsample ... And I did not found out how
to do this.

select a.code
from stamm a
where