Re: Startup ...

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Gary Fay <gtf_ctim(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Startup ...
Date: 2005-08-18 17:05:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 18:36:55 -0700,
Gary Fay <gtf_ctim(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I have a fedora core 3 system. I was able to start the
> postgres server with the tool but I have no idea how
> to create the databases. I am getting errors about my
> user id and I should connect with the one that started
> the server, but I used the tool, not a command.

If you had the server actually running, then you should be able to create
a database using the createdb command.

Probably you want to run createuser first to create a postgres user name
matching your normal account name that has the right to create databases.

When you run createuser you will want to use the -U command to run the command
as the postgres user 'postgres' (or whatever user ran initdb).