Re: How to secure PostgreSQL Data for distribute?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Premsun Choltanwanich" <Premsun(at)nsasia(dot)co(dot)th>
Subject: Re: How to secure PostgreSQL Data for distribute?
Date: 2005-08-18 04:01:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Premsun,

> I need to distribute my application that use PostgreSQL as database to
> my customer. But I still have some questions in my mind on database
> security. I understand that everybody who get my application database will
> be have a full control permission on my database in case that PostgreSQL
> already installed on their computer and they are an administrator on
> PostgreSQL. So that mean data, structure and any ideas contain in database
> will does not secure on this point. Is my understanding correct?
>
> What is the good way to make it all secure? Please advise.

I think you have a different definition of "security" from most of us. There
are techniques you could use that would prevent your customer from having
easy direct access to the database on his machine -- but they would also
prevent him from making backups or recovering from a computer problem.
They'd also require a lot of work on your part.

Overall, if your goal is to prevent your customer from having control of their
own data, I don't think an open-source database is the best choice for
you. ;-b

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions