Re: insert performance riddle

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: insert performance riddle
Date: 2005-08-12 23:20:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday August 11 2005 6:20 pm, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 03:29:29PM -0600, Ed L. wrote:
> > Michael, you nailed it again. My libpq test C program
> > delivered between 2400 QPS and 5000 QPS vs ~10 QPS for
> > DBI/DBD::Pg on this box.
> >
> > It remains unclear to me why the same DBI/DBD::Pg client
> > code would deliver performance 2-3 orders of magnitude
> > better on other roughly comparable or inferior boxes.
>
> I'd suggest contacting the module's maintainer -- see the
> AUTHORS section of the DBD::Pg manual page for contact info.

Well, just as I thought I had this one pinned, my test results
have become wildly inconsistent, eroding all confidence in my
prior conclusions about DBI slowness, etc. I've seen at least
1000+ QPS performance via DBI/DBD::Pg, Pg, and C/libpq. I'm now
investigating the possibility of simple old intermittent I/O
congestion...

Ed