Re: Remote administration functionality

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remote administration functionality
Date: 2005-08-01 14:50:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Alright, sorry to just jump in here in the middle, but I don't see why
> > pg_hba.conf couldn't be made to work just like pg_shadow (or rather,
> > pg_authid or whatever it is now :).
>
> (1) pg_hba.conf is fundamentally order-sensitive; SQL tables are
> fundamentally not. I think it would be a bad idea to try to make
> pg_hba.conf be an image of a SQL table.

You could, of course, have an 'order by' and a column which specifies
the ordering to be applied. I'm not entirely convinced pg_hba is best
as an ordered setup anyway, and this would perhaps be an opportunity to
move it from first-match to best-match.

> (2) You have to be able to edit pg_hba.conf manually before you start
> the server for the first time.

We could have a default setup and options to initdb to create it
correctly if you need something different initially. I'm not convinced
you couldn't have a decent default anyway though.

Thanks,

Stephen