Re: transaction timeout

From: Dr NoName <spamacct11(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transaction timeout
Date: 2005-07-26 16:19:10
Lists: pgsql-general

> OK, for the third or fourth time, what kind of locks
> is your application
> taking out that can lock the whole database?

I'd like to know that myself. How can a
select/inser/update lock an entire table or even
multiple tables?

> How, exactly, can PostgreSQL (or any other database)
> recognize a hung
> client versus one that's waiting for an hour on user
> input?

transaction timeout. In our application, one hour-long
transaction is not normal. I want it to abort
automatically.

> Yes, tell us what you're doing that "locks the whole
> database".

I wish I knew. Last sunday it was locked so bad that
even selects were blocked until we killed the
offending client.

Eugene

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs