Re: getting back autonumber just inserted

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
Cc: lmeadors(at)apache(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting back autonumber just inserted
Date: 2005-07-08 01:49:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 01:56:26AM +0200, PFC wrote:
> >Do you mean with lastval()? Here's what happens:
>
> Hm, interesting, you mean the return value of lastval() also depends
> if you set your constraints to deferred or immediate ?

My mind's ablank trying to contrive a situation where that would
matter. Can you provide an example?

In any case, I simply meant to point out that 8.1's lastval() will
be seductively convenient because you don't have to pass it a
sequence name, but the value it returns might not be the value you
want.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/