Re: Account in postgresql database

From: Yann Michel <yann-postgresql(at)spline(dot)de>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: PostgreSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Account in postgresql database
Date: 2005-06-09 10:15:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Hannu,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:03:42AM +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > I was searching for some information about the storage of the user data
> > in postgresql. As far as I know there is one dictionary table for
> > storeing all the users of any known database, right?
> >
> > As we'd like to provide a postgresql database service to our students
> > we'd like to create one database for each user. This user should be able
> > to create new accounts for other users but only for his/her database.
> >
> > Any comments or solutions are welcome.
>
> see if db_user_namespace (in postgresql.conf) can solve your problem

Yes, that is quite the thing, I was looking for. But unfortunately there
is a note within the documentation: "Note: This feature is intended as a
temporary measure until a complete solution is found. At that time, this
option will be removed."

Another question is, how to grant the right of creating a databaseuser
to a certain database user for only one database.

Regards,
Yann