Re: using strxfrm for having multi locale/please vote for

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Mahmoud Taghizadeh <m_taghi(at)yahoo(dot)com>, db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org, mail(at)joeconway(dot)com, sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using strxfrm for having multi locale/please vote for
Date: 2005-06-07 18:40:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Sounds like pie in the sky to me. Exactly how do you think that
> > ICU will magically mask the fundamental semantic inconsistency?
>
> I am hoping ICU will allow us to see the next greatest value for that
> character.

As Tom says, it's a semantic inconsistency, not a lack of features.
Collation (sorting of strings) takes the entire string into account,
pattern matching compares character by character. For example, some
collations compare strings from back to front, whereas a pattern
matching expression could never make sense of that. The SQL standard
actually does not draw that distinction, but, well, it's broken.

Using separate operator classes for separate semantic interpretations of
data seems to be exactly the right solution.

--
Peter Eisentraut