Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Undisclosed(dot)Recipients: ;
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date: 2005-05-18 17:28:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

People:

I think maybe we're putting on the frosting without the cake here. The
primary purpose of bug trackers is to help get bugs fixed. Over the last
couple of days, we've had a lot of comments from major bug-fixers that a BT
isn't *needed* to get bugs fixed. Let's look at tools which address what we
actually *do* need, rather than what we don't.

Here's where I see a lack:
1) The TODO list is a bit impenetrable for new hackers wanting to get started
with PostgreSQL tasks.

2) Users could use a place to look up their current bug and find out what
version it was/will be fixed in.

3) Users could use a place to look up known issues/misunderstandings and find
education and workarounds.

None of those tasks necessarily requires a bug tracker. In fact, I'd
advocate a project task list for (1) (which we conveninetly have in
pgFoundry) and a knowledge base for (2) and (3). The issue in all cases is
upkeep.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions