Re: New Chinese FAQ

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Weiping <laser(at)qmail(dot)zhengmai(dot)net(dot)cn>, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New Chinese FAQ
Date: 2005-05-17 04:19:44
Lists: pgsql-www

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >Anyway, the HTML is OK so it seems we just have encoding issue now.
> > >The current version in CVS is all fixed up so please submit updates
> > >based on that version. Thanks.
> >
> > I'm sorry to say, but it's invalid characters in it again :-(
> > On svr2:
> > svr2# iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html >/dev/null
> > iconv: FAQ_chinese.html: cannot convert
> >

> > On developer.pgadmin.org:
> > mha(at)developer:~/ext/faqs$ iconv -f gb2312 -t utf-8 FAQ_chinese.html -o
> > /dev/null
> > iconv: illegal input sequence at position 8182
> >

> > Could it be cvs that messes the encoding up? Can you mail me the file as
> > you see it before you commit and I can see if that makes a difference?
> >

> The problem is that the document is clearly not XHTML, but when I use
> htmltidy -raw -asxhtml to convert it to XHTML, it somehow messes up the
> encodings and then iconv fails. So, I either have to manually fix the
> HTML file to be XHTML, or I have to figure out why htmltidy is changing
> the encoded text even though I am using -raw.

OK, fixed. Seems I have to use -b (bare) in the conversion or &nbsp;
and stuff gets converted to some type of non-ascii characters. Seems
like an htmltidy bug but I am not sure.

Anyway, something that validates is now in CVS. I think I tested it
properly with XHTML strict this time.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us