pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org

From: Rob Butler <crodster2k(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Date: 2005-05-04 12:46:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >2) As long as we're using CVS, the only way to
> organize autonomous project
> >teams that have authority over their special areas
> but no ability to change
> >central code is to "push out" projects to separate
> CVS trees.
> >

> This has never been an issue before, AFAIK, nobody
> with commit privliges
> in a separate
> package has ever changed the code where they weren't
> supposed to.
>
> To sum this up; the arguments presented are:
>
> 1) The tarball is/was too big however nobody ever
> complained.
> 2) CVS does not allow different groups to have
> commit privliges, but
> nobody has ever violated the trust

FYI, subversion w/apache allows you to control access
permissions. So you can have separate
branches/sub-trees with different write permissions
for different developers.

Also, subversion does a fairly decent job of
supporting the same command line options as CVS, so
from the end user side it is fairly close to being a
drop in replacement, because you don't need to
re-learn too much.

Of course there is the conversion from CVS to SVN,
which is not necessarily easy and definetly not
quick/simple. SVN also has a number of nice features
like atomic commits, versioning directories, etc.

Later
Rob