Matching the MYSQL "Describe <table-name>" command

From: Alan Chandler <alan(at)chandlerfamily(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Matching the MYSQL "Describe <table-name>" command
Date: 2005-04-24 18:02:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am rather new to Postgres (running 7.4) but I am trying to port some PHP
code that has been built to run with mysql.

I have got stuck trying to find the equivalent of the Mysql "DESCRIBE
<tablename>;" SQL statement that lists the columns and type identifiers of a
table.

I think I am going to do a SELECT on the "pg_attribute" table, but I don't
understand what the "attrelid" column of that table refers to. I need to get
the table name of the column so that I can restrict the select with a WHERE
clause so I assumed it was a key into the pg_class table, but I can't see a
column in this table that could potentially correspond and therefore I could
join to it.

Help
--
Alan Chandler