Re: PRIMARY KEY and indexes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Bryden <postgresql(at)bryden(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PRIMARY KEY and indexes
Date: 2005-04-23 15:49:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 08:45:25AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 11:45:43AM +0200, Craig Bryden wrote:
> >

> >>2. How do I create a clustered index in postgres?
> >

> >There is no such thing as a clustered index in Postgres. You can order
> >the table itself following an index (that's what CLUSTER does), but you
> >don't get the data itself inside the index, which is what AFAIK a
> >clustered index in other database systems.
>
> I believe this is being worked on for 8.1 yes?

I haven't heard of such a thing ... Maybe the bizgres people wants to
do that. But it's hard to do so I wouldn't expect a usable
implementation for 8.1 if they are just starting.

"I personally became interested in Linux while I was dating an English major
who wouldn't know an operating system if it walked up and bit him."
(Val Henson)