Re: Problem with PITR recovery

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ragnar Hafstað <gnari(at)simnet(dot)is>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Date: 2005-04-17 13:38:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ragnar Hafsta wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 23:06 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> [about backup procedure with PITR documentation
>
> > I see in the docs:
> >
> > To make use of this backup, you will need to keep around all the WAL
> > segment files generated at or after the starting time of the backup. To
> > aid you in doing this, the pg_stop_backup function creates a backup
> > history file that is immediately stored into the WAL archive area. This
> > file is named after the first WAL segment file that you need to have to
> > make use of the backup. For example, if the starting WAL file is
> > 0000000100001234000055CD the backup history file will be named something
> > like 0000000100001234000055CD.007C9330.backup. (The second part of this
> > file name stands for an exact position within the WAL file, and can
> > ordinarily be ignored.) Once you have safely archived the backup dump
> > file, you can delete all archived WAL segments with names numerically
> > preceding this one.
> >
> > I am not clear on what the "backup dump file" is? I assume it means
> > 0000000100001234000055CD. It is called "WAL segment file" above. I
> > will rename that phrase to match the above terminology. Patch attached
> > and applied.
>
> Doesn't it refer to the backup file itself (the tar file of the data
> directory) ?

No. That is what I thought it meant on first reading, but looking
closer it is referring to the numbered file, and the tar file has no
specific number.

> You do not want to start deleting WAL segments until that one is safely
> archived.

Right, but the point of the paragraph is that you need the WAL file that
goes with the backup history file number.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us