Problem with backup...

From: Marcin Giedz <marcin(dot)giedz(at)eulerhermes(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with backup...
Date: 2005-04-07 08:49:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello...

Here is procedure of making everyday online backup:
1) select pg_start_backup('xxx');
2) tar -cf backup-xxx.tar /mnt/db/pg1
3) select pg_stop_backup();
rm all archived WAL files before special one taken from backup_log
4) tar -cf var-xx.tar /mnt/db/var

Next I'd like to use this copy on my test machine. So I copy backup-xxx.tar
and var-xxx.tar and untar these files. Directories structure on test are the
same like on production machine. But when I try to run pg_ctl only empty log
file is created but postmaster doesn't run.
Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thx,
Marcin