Re: plpgsql - can't get a simple block to execute

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker(at)cable(dot)comcast(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql - can't get a simple block to execute
Date: 2005-04-05 21:39:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

[Please include the mailing list on replies.]

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:50:37PM -0600, Walker, Jed S wrote:

> So I can not use an anonymous block (as the plpgsql structure indicates I
> can)?

What do you mean by "as the plpgsql structure indicates I can"?
What part of the documentation are you looking at? If you're looking
at the "Structure of PL/pgSQL" section, then remember that it's
describing the structure of a PL/pgSQL function -- it mentions
nothing about being able to execute anonymous blocks.

With current releases of PostgreSQL, if you want to use PL/pgSQL
or any other server-side language (PL/Perl, PL/Python, PL/Tcl,
etc.), then you must write a function.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/