Question about function body checking and 8.1

From: <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Question about function body checking and 8.1
Date: 2005-03-22 16:20:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
currently when you execute a CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION there is virtually no checking of the function body for variable type compatibility or if the SQL statements are valid.
It's not a big deal for long time users of Postgres, but for users migrating from systems such as MS SQL or Oracle it's really a big deal for them.

I work for a fairly large corp with close to 10,000 employees and I have introduced Postgres for internal development and the biggest complaint I get from MS SQL server devs is the whole function body checking thing.

The second biggest issue is about functions returning sets, apparently in MS SQL server you don't have to define a type or a cursor to return a result set.

Anyway just thought I would pass this on.

Thanks,

Tony