Re: postgresql 8.01, plpgsql

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Timothy Smith <timothy(at)open-networks(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 8.01, plpgsql
Date: 2005-03-15 02:41:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:35:13AM +1000, Timothy Smith wrote:

> i have the following function in plpgsql giving stynax errors all over
> the place.

When I load the function you posted I get this:

test=> \i foo.sql
psql:foo.sql:87: ERROR: syntax error at or near "END" at character 2851
psql:foo.sql:87: LINE 83: END;
psql:foo.sql:87: ^

If I add a semicolon to the NULL statement in the exception handler
then it loads successfully.

> one thing to note is i followed this example
> http://www.zigo.dhs.org/postgresql/#insert_or_update and it gives the
> same errors.

I get no errors loading the example in the "Insert or Update" section
of that page.

> "ERROR: unterminated dollar-quoted string at or near "$$
> BEGIN
> LOOP"

This looks like the parser is reaching EOF before the end of the
function body. How are you loading the function? I usually store code
in a file and use "psql -f filename" from the shell or "\i filename"
from the psql prompt. If you're not already doing that, what happens
when you try it?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/