Re: ERROR: for SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER BY expressions must

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Gourish Singbal <gourish(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PgSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: for SELECT DISTINCT, ORDER BY expressions must
Date: 2005-03-14 15:01:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Gourish Singbal wrote:

> The Query needs to have the distinct clause in the select statement
> and the UPPER clause in the order by clause.
>
> eg.
> select distinct id, type from user_list order by UPPER(type)
>
> Please let me know if there is any solution to this issue
> thanks in advance.

I think you can break the select distinct into a subselect like
select * from (select distinct id, type from user_list) a order by
upper(type)

Note, that if you were to ever have two strings that were considered the
same in type but which upper-case differently, the query would give
non-deterministic results.