simple update from select ??

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: simple update from select ??
Date: 2005-03-07 12:28:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi folks

I've got a table of pieces of equipment.
One piece of equipment may be owned by another piece of equipment, and
may own multiple other pieces.

To hold the relationship I have a piece_pieces table holding the owner
(pp_id) part id and the owned part ids (pp_part).

I'v realised I can store this within the original table so I've added an
owner attribute. I need to now populate this now from the other table,
but I can't work out how.

I've got pieces table

p_id -- part id
p_owner -- new owner attribute