automating remote pg_dump

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik(at)hellooperator(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: automating remote pg_dump
Date: 2005-02-10 22:00:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

I notice pg_dump does'nt have a '-P' flag to provide a password, so I assume
you generally use it to pull data through a socket.

I need to run it remotely (to dump a live db and clone its structure to a test
db for unit testing), has anyone got a way to do this?

I've tried 'echo pass | pg_dump -h host -U user dbname' , but she doesnae like it....

extra points for answers that don't include the word 'expect' :D

--
'Ugh, it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's throwing up.'
-- Fry