Re: Safely Killing Backends (Was: Applications that leak connections)

From: Jim Wilson <jimw(at)kelcomaine(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Safely Killing Backends (Was: Applications that leak connections)
Date: 2005-02-08 12:31:13
Lists: pgsql-general

> Your application should handle failures in the middle of a
transaction,
> connection failures included, in a graceful but correct way.

It does very well, until the next bug is discovered.

> I see your point (being able to safely shut a connection down on the
> server side), but it\'s at the _bottom_ of any list.
>
> .TM.
> --
> / / /
> / / / Marco Colombo

That\'s unfortunate. I\'ve tried to explain my position off list to
Marco,
but it really isn\'t worth debating. FWIW I think this thread was
started
by someone with application issues. The fact is, such things happen.

Unfortunately Marco choses speaks for "any list" and I\'ll just
repeat that I find this instability issue the most significant drawback

for Postgres installations. This doesn\'t mean that there aren\'t other
areas
of priority for other users. And no, I do not want to debate the
meaning
of the word "instability". :-)

Best regards,

Jim Wilson