Re: update from multiple rows

From: mrblonde(at)locked(dot)myftp(dot)org
To: franco(at)akyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: update from multiple rows
Date: 2005-01-24 23:32:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thanks a lot.. That is what i searched.. In fact your query is very good for little changes, but i will have to use another method when updating all my rows because the performance is not very good alas.

My data set contains something like 40000 rows to update in 1+ million records and data_raw, data_sys are of type "real"... The complete update took 40 minutes on a 256Mo, athlon 2400, kernel 2.6 and with no charge during the execution of the query.

Is this normal ? The number of columns of the table does it matter a lot (the table contains 12 reals and 4 integers) ?

I found that using an intermediate table which stock for every row the value before and the value after helps to gain speed... But it is not a very nice way i think..

Thanks again :)
Etienne