Re: Best Linux Distribution

From: "Andrew L(dot) Gould" <algould(at)datawok(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: mstory(at)uchicago(dot)edu, David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: 2005-01-21 05:40:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 20 January 2005 09:20 pm, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> mstory(at)uchicago(dot)edu wrote:
> >Does it have to be linux? I've never had as much success with
> > PostGresql on linux as i have on FreeBSD 5.3
>
> For XFS? I don't think you are going to have with FreeBSD and XFS.
> If IIRC (some freebsd person please chime in) that is one thing
> that Linux has over FreeBSD which is its filesystems support.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I don't think he was referring to the filesystem issue as much as the
original question as to which Linux distribution would be best.

I was running PostgreSQL on Linux until just before the 2.4 kernel was
released. I tried it on FreeBSD because my uncompressed backup files
were larger than 2GB. I've been running PostgreSQL on FreeBSD 4* ever
since; and I could not be more pleased. Although the 2.4 kernel
increased the maximum file size, I never looked back. (Actually, I
have been looking back at Linux -- but only at the request of the IS
Dept. They have a few staff that run Linux at home; but aren't
comfortable with FreeBSD. At the point that they support Linux
officially, they would like me to change operating systems.)

Andrew Gould