Re: Conversion ideas (Views/procedures)

From: "Keith Worthington" <keithw(at)narrowpathinc(dot)com>
To: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Conversion ideas (Views/procedures)
Date: 2005-01-19 17:32:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I am new to Postgres and am converting our MSSQL database to Postgres.
>
> I just did my first function.
> My question is does it make sense to create functions for some of
> the common functionality available to the MSSQL world (left, isnull,
> etc) so I do not need visit every view, and stored procedure to
> remove them? If it does is there a body of work anywhere? If not
> what is the best approach just remove all non existent (re-engineer)
> functions from my views and procedures. I understand some of the
> items are available, but a bit different either the name of the
> function or its use. I did see a how to that alerted me to the
> datefiff being date_diff and to watch out for the yy needing to be
> 'year' etc. he mentioned to use coalesce() instead of isnull also.
> Any other common ones I should be aware of?
>
> Joel Fradkin

I like the idea myself of a 'library' that when placed first in the 'search
path' would allow an application designed for a MSSQL database to operate.
Obviously a similar library for Oracle, MySQL and others would also be
benefical. They could have the affect of increasing PostgreSQL's use by
reducing the immediate porting requirements. I do not know if this is
possible but it would be cool stuff.

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com