Re: FK relationships

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: sarlav kumar <sarlavk(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FK relationships
Date: 2005-01-12 21:22:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:01:17PM -0800, sarlav kumar wrote:

> update pg_constraint set conname='customer_facts_uid_fkey'
> where confrelid='customer'::regclass and conrelid='customer_facts'::regclass;

Note that if a table has multiple constraints then this update will
try to rename all of them to the same name.

> Is this going to cause any trouble in future?

I don't know about this case, but fiddling with the system tables
can cause problems due to subtle relationships you're not aware of,
and it can have catastrophic consequences if you make a mistake.
Avoid it if possible.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/