Re: preloading indexes

From: <stuff(at)opensourceonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: preloading indexes
Date: 2004-11-03 19:12:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

That's correct - I'd like to be able to keep particular indexes in RAM
available all the time

The best way to get all the stuff needed by a query into RAM is to run the
query. Is it more that you want to 'pin' the data in RAM so it doesn't get
overwritten by other queries?

I am working with some pretty convoluted queries that work very slowly the
first time they're called but perform fine on the second call. I am fairly
certain that these differences are due to the caching. Can someone point me
in a direction that would allow me to pre-cache the critical indexes?