Re: clustering

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: clustering
Date: 2004-10-19 14:43:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:29:11AM +0530, Nageshwar Rao wrote:
> Hi,
> We would like use Postgresql as our database. For high availability is it
> possible to cluster DB in Postgresql. Appreciate if you can let me know how
> this can be achieved.
> Else is there any other way to achieve High Availability in POstgresql as
> this is mission critical system.

My recommendation for HA PostgreSQL is to use two servers with one of
those nifty HA options, and let the postmaster on the taking-over
machine recover the database just like after a crash. Also, you'll
be wanting to use slony (www.slony.info).

If you're asking whether Postgres has something akin to Oracle's RAC,
the answer is "not yet".

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie