Re: Problem with mirrorring

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Problem with mirrorring
Date: 2004-10-03 14:03:49
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>> Of course, how it does that is a mystery to me - without fully
>> comparing both versions, how can it create a diff? I guess that's
>> what made it PhD material...
>
> It doesn't create a diff. It computes checksums for pieces of the file
> and transfers those.
>
> Apparently, though, it first checks the modification time before doing
> all that checksum stuff.

Right, and if you want, you can use the --size-only arg to rsync to
disable the timestamp check and made it only a size check ... so, if the
size doesn't change, the page wasn't actually modified ... and, I can't
think of many situations where if hte file changed, the size wouldn't
change by *at least* one character, but I imagine it could happen ...

----