Re: Postgres development model (was Re: CVS comment)

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres development model (was Re: CVS comment)
Date: 2004-08-08 16:53:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 01:18:02AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
>
> > Maybe a better SCM could help with this, but I doubt it.
>
> I haven't seen any particular reason why we should adopt another SCM.
> Perhaps BitKeeper or SubVersion would be better for our purposes than
> CVS, but are they enough better to justify the switchover costs?
> I doubt it.

CVS has it problems, and there are other SCM packages available that
address those, but the but the main problem for postgresql is shortage
of uber-hackers, as Tom says. Once that problems solved (more good
coders seasoned in the codebase) then it might be time to switch.
By then, they'll be even easier to use. ;-)

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D. reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Research Scientist phone: 713-348-6166