Error trapping in pg/PGSQL

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error trapping in pg/PGSQL
Date: 2004-07-16 22:55:31
Lists: pgsql-general

What plans are there for adding error trapping support to pl/PGSQL? In
my case I'm trying to write code that will properly handle the race
condition in doing a SELECT/INSERT (SELECT something but if it doesn't
exist do an INSERT), and I can't see any way to make it fool-proof
without being able to trap a duplicate key error. But it seems like
error trapping is something that would be extremely useful to have aside
from what I'm doing.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant jim(at)nasby(dot)net