Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date: 2004-07-10 21:28:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dennis,

> The non-standard part I was talking about was the savepoints without
> names, and that is what we should support for ever if we introduce them.

I don't have a problem with that idea. Anonymous Savepoints should be easy
to support if we are supporting Named (spec) Savepoints. And the two should
even integrate easily -- a *lot* more easily than Savepoints and Nested Xacts
with a different syntax would. And, it's also a convenient shortcut for the
most common case -- transactions with 1 level of nesting and only a couple of
non-overlapping savepoints.

Of course, if Alvaro can knock out Named Savepoints in a week, then sure,
let's go for it. But I've not heard him saying he can.

However, this does bring up an important issue; if we implement anonymous
savepoints, then should the current implementation accept savepoint names and
just ignore them? If not, it makes porting and coding for the spec much
more difficult; if so, ported applications could develop subtle erroneous
behaviour through wrong rollbacks.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions