windows encodings

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: windows encodings
Date: 2004-07-08 07:13:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

in Czech database conference we talk about windows PostgreSQL port and
windows encodings now. The current code expect use win1250 as FE
encoding only. That's right for non-windows systems, but native windows
knows work with this encoding. The encodings separation (FE|BE) is
defined in the include/mb/pg_wchar.h file and I think we can change it
a little by "#ifdef WIN32" and define windows encodings as backend
encodings for windows port.

Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz> already test win1250 as backend
encoding for windows port and it works. There is more windows encodings
like Big5 and Shift-JIS which are defined as FE only.

I haven't windows so I can't help with this work, but I think people
who work on windows port should test and fix it, because support
windows encodigs in native windows port is well-founded idea. I think
:-)

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>