Re: Find out whether a view's column is indexed?

From: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Find out whether a view's column is indexed?
Date: 2004-06-10 14:06:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

> and I can see whether a sequential scan or an index scan is
> performed, but parsing the output of EXPLAIN programmatically
> is nearly impossible. Anyway the words 'Index Scan' and 'Seq
> Scan' can change without notice, maybe even from one locale to
> another.
I think you are operating under the faulty assumption that
'Index Scan' in EXPLAIN output signifies that a column is
*indexed*. What it really tells you is whether an index is
actually *used* when getting data from a column. That of
course requires an index to be there. However, an index being
there doesn't guarantee it being used.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346