Re: reindex and copy - deadlock?

From: Litao Wu <litaowu(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindex and copy - deadlock?
Date: 2004-06-08 17:25:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thank you, Tom!

We vacuum and reindex every night and
reindex typically took 30 minutes. Today,
it ran since 3AM, and has not finished till 8:30AM.

The email and its indexe sizes are:
tablename indexname size_kb reltuples
email 1292696 8.07905e+06
email email_cre_dom_idx 323112
email email_cid_cre_dom_idx 357952
email email_did_cre_idx 205712
email email_cid_cre_idx 205560

I agree with you that deadlock is unlikely from
database and OS report.

We have bounced the server since it is a production
database and nobody can access email table because
of this.

I will use gdb next time. What's this right way to
get info as postgres owner?
gdb
attach pid

Thanks again!