Re: dynamic rules?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Christopher Dedels <cdedels(at)mygeotivity(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dynamic rules?
Date: 2004-06-04 18:18:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:16:04 -0700,
Christopher Dedels <cdedels(at)mygeotivity(dot)com> wrote:
> Bruno,
>
> Thanks for the response.

You should keep the discussion copied to the list as long as it is on topic.
That way other people can help out.

> I was wondering if I was possible to union the tables if necessary. So, if
> I choose type=1 it selects from only the 'one' table and likewise with 2.
> However, if I query type=1 or type=2 it will union the two and return the
> results from both tables.

That is a planner issue. I suspect that currently postgres won't be able
to see that a union isn't necessary. However unless performance is a real
problem for you, you are better off using simpler code to help maintainance.