Re: Rough draft for Unicode-aware

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: marko(at)karppinen(dot)fi
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rough draft for Unicode-aware
Date: 2004-05-17 01:14:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> initdb could even emit a warning if the --encoding option was
> used without also specifying --no-locale.

Please don't do that. Most Asian chasets does not work with locale
enabled PostgreSQL installation. i.e. it returns WRONG SELECT
results. I've been telling this to Japanese users for hundreds of
times when they ask me why SELECT returns results. If that kind of
wanings are installed, I think more Japanese users will be confused.
--
Tatsuo Ishii