Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
Cc: Bob(dot)Henkel(at)hartfordlife(dot)com, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??
Date: 2004-04-07 13:54:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 08:25:32AM -0500, Mike Nolan wrote:
> The security aspects of them could be important to some users or
> potential users. Using cron either forces one to have passwords out
> there in plaintext in the .pgpass file or to use a 'trusted' username
> that could also be a major security hole.
>
> Also, a script-based job can be changed or deleted by someone with the
> right file permissions even though they may not have database permissions,
> and vice versa.

Is there any particular reason why someone couldn't write a pgcron that
works exactly like cron except it reads its data from a database.

Like, say, a CRONTAB table with all the right columns. If each user has
a schema then the existance of user.CRONTAB would be jobs for that
user.

Why build it into the database if it can be done just as well
externally.